Thank you for visiting the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department website. NH Fish and Game



Registering Your OHRV or Snowmobile


NOTE: Annual registrations run May 1 through April 30.  New registrations become available in late April.  For questions regarding registration, contact NH Fish and Game at (603) 271-3422.


All snowmobiles and OHRVs must be registered if operated in New Hampshire off the owner's property. There are no additional trail user fees in New Hampshire. A registration is a privilege to ride off of your own property on approved trails or with written landowner permission. A registration does not give permission for unrestricted riding or operation on roadways not part of an approved trail system.  For questions regarding registrations for road use, contact your Town Clerk or the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Please note that registration does not guarantee trails are open for riding. It is the rider's responsibility to check for trail openings, closures, or event cancellations.  For information on trails, openings and closures, contact the NH Bureau of Trails at (603) 271-3254 or visit their website.


When registering an OHRV or snowmobile, the registrant:

  1. Must be at least 18 years old and present a valid driver's license or non-driver photo ID. Registrations are issued to an individual;
  2. Must present a valid NH driver's license or NH non-driver photo ID to qualify for resident rates;
  3. Must provide the vehicle: year of manufacture, make, model, displacement, primary and secondary colors, and VIN. No title, bill of sale or previous registration is required in NH;
  4. Must present the appropriate proof of club membership to qualify for applicable member rate.  See below for information regarding wheeled vehicle and snowmobile club memberships;
  5. Will receive a printed registration certificate and two decals; and
  6. Is responsible for verifying their registration information and affixing the decals appropriately.


Select a tab to view content.

How / Where to Register Your OHRV / Snowmobile

Individuals may register at any of the registration agents located throughout the state, and must apply in person. Registrations also may be purchased at Fish and Game headquarters.


Visit an Agent


Note: Annual registrations run May 1 through April 30.



You may request that an application be mailed to you by contacting Fish and Game at (603) 271-3422.


Note: Miscellaneous registrations such as antiques, dealers, rentals, trails maintenance, and duplicate registration certificates are only available at Fish and Game Headquarters.


Snowmobile Club Discount

Snowmobile registration fees are discounted for members of a New Hampshire snowmobile club affiliated with the NH Snowmobile Association (NHSA). The registrant must present, at each time of registration, their membership voucher with their NHSA member number for the corresponding season. To find a club, visit the NH Snowmobile Association at or call (603) 273-0220 (snowmobile club information only).


Wheeled Vehicle Club Discount

Wheeled vehicle registration fees are discounted for members of a New Hampshire wheeled vehicle club affiliated with the NH Off-Highway Vehicle Association (NHOHVA). The registrant must present, at each time of registrantion, their membership voucher with their NHOHVA member # for the corresponding season. To find a club, visit the NH Off Highway Vehicle Association at or call (413) 200-8061 (wheeled vehicle club information only).


Registration Fees and Current Rules

Registration fees and current rules are outlined in the current OHRV / Snowmobile Digest of Regulations. There you'll find snowmobile, ATV and trail bike registration fees, rules, as well as other information, such as guidelines for reporting accidents or stolen snowmobiles. Please note that this publication is only a summary of New Hampshire Off Highway Recreational Vehicle laws and current fees; it is not the complete law or rules. The official rules may be examined at: Administrative Procedures Division; Office of Legislative Services; State House, Concord, New Hampshire.


Tracked OHRV Registration Requirements

The requirement for dual registration of tracked ATVs on snowmobile trails recently changed. At the present time, only a NH OHRV registration is required.


The size requirements to operate on a snowmobile trail have not changed. In order to operate on state-approved snowmobile trails, an OHRV (wheeled vehicle) that has had the wheels or tires removed and replaced with tracks, cleats or skis, must meet the definition of a snowmobile as defined by law. The OHRV, with the tracks on, cannot exceed 54 inches in width and 1,200 pounds.


Do I need a title or bill of sale?

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the state agency responsible for the registration of OHRVs and snowmobiles. The state of New Hampshire does not title OHRVs or snowmobiles, nor does it maintain any records of title or liens on these types of vehicles. A title, bill of sale or previous registration is not required to register an OHRV or snowmobile; however the registrant must be able to provide the vehicle information.


Although a bill of sale is not required to register in New Hampshire, when buying or selling a machine, it is recommended that a bill of sale is completed, and includes the vehicle information and VIN.


It is also recommended that a buyer verify the VIN on the bill of sale against the machine itself. NH Fish and Game does not verify or give out registration or machine information unless an individual is requesting his or her own registration information.


When a transfer of ownership has taken place, the registration and decals on the machine are no longer valid; the new owner would need to register the machine in their own name.


How to Place your OHRV / Snowmobile Registration Decal



Have a question about registering your OHRV?


E-mail us or call (603) 271-3422


Did you know?

The majority of registration fees go to the N.H. Bureau of Trails, which in turn distributes monies back to clubs for trail maintenance through the Grant-in-Aid Program. Registration fees are also used for safety education and enforcement coordinated by N.H. Fish and Game, which help make our trails safer.