Thank you for visiting the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department website. NH Fish and Game



OHRVs in NH - Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I register?
Registrations can be made in person at more than 200 OHRV Registration agencies located throughout the state. View a complete listing of NH OHRV agents. Businesses that sell OHRV Registrations include OHRV sales and repair shops, sporting goods stores, country and general stores and some marinas. Registrations are also available by mail; call (603) 271-3422.
Do I need a driver’s license to operate an OHRV?
You cannot operate any OHRV if your driver’s license is under suspension or revocation in any state or Canadian Province. An OHRV Safety Education Certificate does not override a Motor Vehicle License Suspension. A valid motor vehicle driver's license or OHRV Safety Education Certificate is also required to cross a public way.
Can a child legally operate an OHRV?
Any operator 12 years of age and over must show proof of an approved safety education class or possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license. Any operator under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a licensed adult over the age of 18. Any operator under the age of 12 cannot cross roads. Any operator under the age of 18 cannot carry a passenger on a 3- or 4-wheel ATV. Any operator under the age of 18 must wear a helmet and eye protection. Any passenger under the age of 18 must wear a helmet.
How can I find out about OHRV Safety Education courses?
Visit the course schedule web page. You can also call the NH Fish and Game Department in Concord, NH, at (603) 271-3129.
Where can I ride?
More than 6,900 miles of snowmobile trails may be open in the winter to most types of snowmobiles and OHRVs. Landowner permission is required to operate on property of another. You can only ride on trails designated and signed for your type of vehicle. Snowmobile trails are only open during the winter months unless written landowner permission is obtained. The NH Bureau of Trails and the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association print statewide Snowmobile Trail maps. Local trail maps are printed and distributed by local clubs.
Can I ride on power lines and other utility company rights of way?
A majority of land on which the utility companies operate are private property. The companies obtain easements for their purposes only. Written landowner permission from each individual landowner must be obtained if the trail is not specifically designated for OHRV use before you can operate your OHRV.
How far can I ride down the road?
OHRV operation is prohibited on public roads unless specifically permitted and posted for OHRV use. Examples of permitted uses are road crossings and trail connectors. In such areas the speed limit is 10 MPH and OHRVs must stay to the extreme right side of the public way. They cannot operate from trail head to trail head.
Is it illegal to operate while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs?
Operating an OHRV while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is illegal and extremely dangerous. Nationwide, approximately 65% of OHRV fatal crashes involve an intoxicated operator. The same laws and penalties for operating motor vehicles while under the influence apply to OHRVs to include implied consent, heft fines, jail time and loss of your driving privileges. The legal blood alcohol concentration limit for operating an OHRVs is similar to motor vehicle, .08%, or attempting to operate while impaired.
Is my New Hampshire registration valid in other states?
Your New Hampshire snowmobile registration is valid in Vermont, but you must purchase a Non-Resident Trails Maintenance Assessment Pass and join the state association and local club. Some states and provinces require proof of insurance and payment of a trail use fee or club membership. When planning to ride in other states or provinces, call ahead for particulars and restrictions such as dates and available trails. View information on the Vermont-NH-Maine reciprocal snowmobile weekend.
How can I find out about OHRV events and activities?

The New Hampshire Snowmobile Association is the umbrella organization that unites most of the snowmobile clubs in the state. You may automatically become an NHSA member by joining a local club. You will also receive their monthly publication that contains a listing of snowmobile-related activities. Call (603) 273-0220 or visit for more information.


Wheeled-vehicle users should visit the New Hampshire Off Highway Vehicle Association, NHOHVA, at, or call 1-413-200-8061.

How do I register my OHRV as an antique?

An antique OHRV is defined as one that was manufactured prior to 1969 or is at least 25 years old. This registration is available to residents of the state of New Hampshire only and is available by contacting the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.


Contacts with individual wheeled-vehicle clubs can be obtained by contacting the Bureau of Trails or the Fish and Game Department.

How much of my snowmobile or ATV registration fee stays at Fish and Game?
Only part of the registration revenue generated by the Off-Highway Recreational Vehicle Program goes to Fish and Game. The NH Bureau of Trails at DRED (NH Department of Resources and Economic Develpment) receives a majority of the funds; 82% of the snowmobile registration monies and 57% of the wheeled-vehicle registration monies go to DRED. The remainder stays at Fish and Game as dedicated funds used for the OHRV Registry Program, Snowmobile and OHRV Safety Education Program, providing Law Enforcement for Snowmobile and Off-Highway Recreational Vehicles.
How can I learn more about OHRV laws and registration fees?
Download the current New Hampshire OHRV Laws Digest brochure.
Where can I find NH OHRV contacts and links?